- When will you collect shipping charges?
- How do I tell you which rewards I want?
- What if I don't want some of the rewards? Can you just use the money to help NOVA?
- When will you ship my rewards?
- What kind of digital download will I get?
- Will my digital download be available outside of the United States?
- What size t-shirts will you be offering?
- How will you know which size t-shirt I want?
- What additional information will you need from me for the $25,000 pledge?
- For the $25,000 pledge, why do you need to determine whether there is a relationship between me and the program subject matter, the production process, or the producers?
- How do you determine if my $25,000 pledge meets PBS guidelines?
- What sort of information will you need regarding my $25,000 pledge?
- I’m not sure if I have a connection with the program but I want to give, what should I do?
- What if it is determined that my $25,000 pledge doesn’t meet FCC requirements or the PBS National Program Funding Standards and Practice guidelines?
- Is my $25,000 Kickstarter pledge tax-deductible?
- For the Day at NOVA HQ Field Trip, when will I be able to visit WGBH?
- For the Day at NOVA HQ Field Trip, what do you mean by “drop in on other national television and radio productions made at WGBH?" Because I LOVE Antiques Roadshow!
- For the Fermilab field trip, what is the complete list of things we’ll be doing?
- For the Fermilab field trip, can I bring a friend? Will it just be us on the tour?
- When will the Fermilab field trip be?
- Are there limitations as to who can go on the Fermilab field trip?
1. When will you collect shipping charges?
After the campaign ends, we'll send you a reward order form where you can give us all of the information we need: your mailing address, t-shirt sizes, and any other details we need.
When we do, we'll also calculate exact shipping costs based on the rewards you've chosen and where we need to send them. That way, you don't pay more than you have to, and Kickstarter doesn't collect a fee on your shipping expenses.
2. How do I tell you which rewards I want?
As long as your pledge level includes the rewards, you don’t have to do anything until the campaign is over. Once it ends, we’ll contact you to get more details about your reward selections, and details such as shirt sizes and shipping addresses. You’ll be able to tell us which rewards you want!
3. What if I don't want some of the rewards? Can you just use the money to help NOVA?
Yes! If you don’t want some (or all) of the rewards, we will use the funds to reach our goals. Here’s how it works.
IF YOU DON’T WANT ANY OF THE REWARDS:
- If you haven’t pledged, click the green button at the top of this page that says “BACK THIS PROJECT.” Or, if you have pledged, click on the blue button at the top of this page that says “MANAGE YOUR PLEDGE.”
- On the next page, make sure you’ve entered the amount you wish to pledge at the top. Then, select the top package (“No reward”), or the $5 reward package (to be thanked on our website).
- Click the green button at the bottom of the page that says “CONTINUE TO NEXT STEP.”
- Make sure the pledge says “No Reward” or “Reward: $5," and click the blue CONFIRM button.
IF YOU DON’T WANT SOME OF THE REWARDS:
You don’t have to do anything until the campaign is over. Once it ends, we’ll contact you to get more details about your reward preferences, and details such as shirt sizes and shipping addresses. When we do, you’ll be able to choose whether you want each of your rewards, or prefer that we donate that part of your pledge to supporting more classrooms!
4. When will you ship my rewards?
We'll send you an order form to confirm your shipping details and rewards preferences. Right now, we estimate that we will send that in April-May 2017. After the campaign, we'll build a schedule with estimates for when each individual item will ship out here.
Once we have everyone’s requests, we'll be able to start producing the rewards, and preparing them for shipping. At this point, we estimate that we’ll start producing the rewards in Summer 2017.
Then, we'll aim to ship the first wave of rewards – that’s everything that doesn't rely on the Beyond the Elements special being finished – in Fall / Winter 2017.
Finally, we’ll ship all remaining rewards (like the DVDs and digital downloads of Beyond the Elements) when the special is completed and ready for broadcast. Right now, the best estimate we have for that is Fall / Winter 2019, but we'll let you know if the schedule changes as we move into production.
Estimated schedule subject to change.
5. What kind of digital download will I get?
Right now, we know we'll be offering the digital download via iTunes download code. We're working to get it on other platforms too. We'll keep you posted here!
6. Will my digital download be available outside of the United States?
Yes! Your link to download Beyond the Elements will work everywhere the iTunes Store operates.
7. What size t-shirts will you be offering?
The Official NOVA Kickstarter shirt will be available in sizes from XS-2XL at no extra charge. 3X-5X will also be available for a small additional fee, since those cost us more to make - but you don't pay that now. Remember: you DON'T need to tell us your shirt size or cut now. You'll do that when we send out a reward survey after the close of the campaign. If you're not sure what size you'd like, here's a handy size chart:
8. How will you know which size t-shirt I want?
You will get a chance to tell us your preferred shirt size after the campaign ends, when we send you a reward survey. You do not need to tell us your shirt size now. After the Kickstarter ends on March 10th and we confirm your pledge, we'll start preparing a reward survey. When we send it out, you'll be able to tell us all of your reward preferences... including shirt size!
9. What additional information will you need from me for the $25,000 pledge?
The legal name of the private individual, the pledger’s contact information, and web address, if applicable. We will also need to establish if there is any relationship between each pledger and the program subject matter, the production process, or the producers.
10. For the $25,000 pledge, why do you need to determine whether there is a relationship between me and the program subject matter, the production process, or the producers?
In order to ensure that we comply with PBS underwriting guidelines regarding the acceptability of funders and to protect public television’s journalistic integrity, we need to avoid any situation in which a perception of a funder’s editorial influence or commercialism could arise.
11. How do you determine if my $25,000 pledge meets PBS guidelines?
PBS applies three “tests” to proposed funding to determine its acceptability.
- Editorial Influence/Involvement: Did the donor exercise any form of editorial control over the program?
- Perception of editorial influence/involvement: Will the public perceive that the donor exercised editorial control?
- Commercialism: Will the public think the program is on PBS principally because it promotes the donor’s products, services or other business interests?
12. What sort of information will you need regarding my $25,000 pledge?
After the campaign ends, we may need to follow up with you to answer the following questions, among others:
a) Will you or any projects associated with you appear in the program? If so, we will need to understand how you or your project will or might be used in the program.
b) Do you have a public position on an issue that may be part of the program?
c) Do you have a connection with any questionable or sensitive issue that may bring public scrutiny to the program?
13. I’m not sure if I have a connection with the program but I want to give, what should I do?
Please contact us first at firstname.lastname@example.org
14. What if it is determined that my $25,000 pledge doesn’t meet FCC requirements or the PBS National Program Funding Standards and Practice guidelines?
Like all major gifts, your pledge will go through a vetting process to make sure it meets FCC requirements and PBS guidelines. If, for some reason, it is determined that your pledge does not meet any of these requirements or guidelines, we will refund your pledge and you will not receive broadcast credit.
15. Is my $25,000 Kickstarter pledge tax-deductible?
Kickstarter pledges aren’t considered to be tax-deductible. Campaigns offer reward packages in exchange for pledges, and pledges are considered to be a transaction, rather than a donation.
16. For the Day at NOVA HQ Field Trip, when will I be able to visit WGBH?
We’ll coordinate with you after the campaign to find a time that works for both your schedule and NOVA’s schedule. Please keep in mind, however, that participation in a screening is dependent on our ongoing production schedule - so flexibility on your end helps.
17. For the Day at NOVA HQ Field Trip, what do you mean by “drop in on other national television and radio productions made at WGBH?" Because I LOVE Antiques Roadshow!
Lots of great national programming is produced at WGBH including the PBS series Frontline, Antiques Roadshow, Masterpiece, and American Experience as well as public radio programs like PRI’s The World. Until we get closer to your visit and schedule a date, however, we cannot guarantee a visit with any one particular WGBH production unit. We will try our best to accommodate requests you may have, but it will be largely dependent on scheduling. Regardless, we will make sure you get a broad idea of the different types of shows created at WGBH and have a chance to talk to the producers making it happen.
18. For the Fermilab field trip, what is the complete list of things we’ll be doing?
FFSE (Fermilab Friends for Science Education) will host David Pogue and each backer (and a guest) for a day-long visit to Fermilab;
Several Fermilab scientists will be made available to answer questions from the backers;
The visit will include a behind-the scenes tour of the laboratory, including the Main Control Room, the MINOS underground cavern, the Muon Campus, and the short-baseline neutrino experiments, a presentation from FFSE about its mission and goals, and meeting physicists at work in the lab’s control rooms;
Fermilab scientists will be made available to have lunch with a NOVA representative, David Pogue, and the backers;
The visit will include an afternoon mini-class on particle physics, dark matter and dark energy delivered by Fermilab scientists;
An opportunity to ask questions of Fermilab scientists;
Fermilab scientists will be made available to have dinner with a NOVA representative, David Pogue, and the backers;
FFSE will provide merchandise to the backers from the Lederman Science Center;
FFSE will, depending on schedule and availability, provide backer and guest with complimentary tickets to a lecture or concert from the Fermilab Arts and Lecture Series; and;
A digital photo album of the backer’s trip to Fermilab will be provided after the trip.
19. For the Fermilab field trip, can I bring a friend? Will it just be us on the tour?
Yes, this package includes space for 2 people. There could be as many as 10 backers and their guests (20 people total) on the field trip.
20. When will the Fermilab field trip be?
We’ll work with you, David Pogue, and Fermilab to find a date that works upon the successful funding of the campaign. The field trip must be completed within six months after the airing of Beyond the Elements.
21. Are there limitations as to who can go on the Fermilab field trip?
Yes. All attendees must be older than 18 years of age and able to walk a moderate distance. Approval for participation in this tour is subject to Fermilab site access rules and regulations.